Let's see. The first exciting thing that happened since I last posted was that the Human Rights Commission from Sierra Leone came to our office at ICTJ for a day, and I got to show them around to all of their various meetings. They (and I) met with three people who had been on the Truth and Reconciliation Commission in South Africa, which was very cool.

That same night I went with a few friends to a Goldfish concert. Goldfish is a very popular electo-jazz duo in South Africa. Also, one of the musicians is my Rotarian Don's son, Dominic. I've never met Dominic, but his band and music are very cool. After that concert, I am officially a fan. You can listen to the music on the website, so if you like electro-jazz (or think you might like electro-jazz) check out the link.
Last weekend was also pretty exciting. I got to spend all morning and afternoon on Saturday in Khayelitsha (where I volunteer) with my fellow volunteers and students for a "fun day" and cookout. The kids played soccer and net ball and jumped rope, and then we had an enormous braai (cookout). I brought my camera along, which became the main feature of the day when the kids discovered it. They absolutely loved taking pictures of themselves and posing - but don't we all? It was really wonderful to get to know the students outside of the classroom. They were very curious about where I come from, and seemed amazed when I told them that I had been to New York City - but that I hadn't met anyone famous while I was there.

The semester ends next week, so work is piling up. I have two term papers due by the end of the month, and then a thesis proposal presentation in June. Tomorrow, though, I am perticipating in the Cape Town Adventure Race 2007 with some other Rotary scholars. Apparently it is some sort of extreme team challenge/scavenger hunt that involves things like swimming and eating gross foods. Both of these are my forte, so my team is definitely going to win! More to come later...



2 comments:
Hi Emily, this is your dad's cousin Justin from Philadelphia. I love your blog and will be sure to return often. It looks like you are doing great things in Cape Town. Kepp making us proud, and post to the MyFamily web site once in a while.
I have just read your whole journey account and I am in awe that you having such an experience. I am very proud of you and your committment. You are one more Kenney dedicated to making a difference to the lives of those in the world in need of justice, human rights and improved living conditions.
Bill Kenney
Post a Comment